Identity Theft and Travel
IDENTITY THEFT AND TRAVEL
Whether you're only planning to take a few days off of work to relax or are counting down the days to a long-awaited vacation here are some helpful tips..
- Limit your use of public Wi-Fi as much as possible. While these networks are incredibly convenient, very often they are unsecure. This means that any information you input while connected to the hotspot could be viewed by someone else. For this reason, it is so important to never access your financial account or any other sites that require a password when using public Wi-Fi.
- Use credit cards over debit cards. Depending on where you are traveling, some merchants still practice questionable transaction processes- making credit card or cash a safer method of payment. It almost always recommended to use the credit option of your card versus the debit option. If your card numbers ever did get into the wrong hands, most credit card companies will quickly reverse or cover fraudulent charges, while recovering funds from your drained bank account can be a bit more complicated.
- Be cautious when using ATMs. Inspect the machine carefully before inserting your card. Fraudsters can attach card skimmers to the slot that capture your information when you insert it; very often, these look like they are part of the machine. Also, always shield the keypad when entering your PIN â€“ scammers can also set up hidden video recorders. The safest ATMs to use are attached to banks in a well-lit areas.
- Lock up valuable documents and items in the hotel. This includes boarding passes, confirmation emails, passports, jewelry, etc. Even hotel staff have been known to go through rooms while they are cleaning and steal items. Everything is much more secure in a safe.
- Keep your phone password-protected. If you're not the type of person to keep a password guard on your phone, make an exception while traveling. If your phone is ever lost or stolen, an identity thief could have a heyday with it.
- Don't post your vacation pics to social media with a geotag. It's tempting to post those beautiful views and scenic snaps as soon as they're taken- and of course we all want everyone to know where it was taken- but it can wait until you are back home.
The best peace of mind while traveling is enrolling in a comprehensive identity protection program like the ones we offer through Generali Global Assistance. Proactive identity and credit monitoring services scour the deepest corners of the internet to search for compromised personal information. The Online Data Protection suite includes anti-phishing and anti-keylogging software, which is especially important if youâ€™re using public Wi-Fi. Additionally, if you ever become a victim of identity theft, multi-lingual certified identity theft resolution specialists are available 24/7 to work on your behalf to help restore your identity and prevent further damage.
Identity Theft Program
Identity Theft Program
There is a new identity theft victim every 2 seconds.
When traveling, you are up to 4 times as likely to be a victim of identity theft. Understand why.
Maintain peace of mind on your vacation with identity protection for you and your family.
Our identity protection program for travelers reduces the risk of identity theft by:
• Monitoring millions of data points for suspicious use of your sensitive personal information
• Alerting you at the earliest sign of fraud
• Quickly helping to resolve any incidents that occur.
If your wallet, passport, credit card, or other important document is lost or stolen, we’ll have
them canceled and help get a replacement – no matter where you are in the world.
Generali Global Assistance has been a leader in minimizing risk and helping people in times of need for over 50 years. One of the first companies in the United States to provide identity theft resolution services, today – GGA works with Fortune 500 companies and leaders of industry to protect the identities of over 5 million people. GGA uses a powerful combination of advanced identity monitoring technology and award-winning customer service to ensure that your identity belongs only to you.
To purchase identity protection now,
select from the two packages below:
|Identity Protection Plus||Identity Proectection Elite|
|24/7 Identity Theft Resolution Service||✓||✓|
|Online Identity Monitoring Dashboard||✓||✓|
Credit Monitoring, Report, and Score
|1 Bureau||3 Bureau|
|Suspicious Activity Alerts||✓||✓|
|Online Data Protection Software Suite||✓||✓|
|Lost Wallet Assistance||✓||✓|
|Medical Identity Theft Assistance||✓||✓|
|Emergency Travel Arrangements, Translation Services, and Cash Advance||✓||✓|
|Legal, Financial, Tax and Emotional Counseling||✓|
|$1 Million Identity Theft Insurance||✓||✓|
|Type of Package||Per Month|
|Elite||Individual $310.00||Couple $530.00||Family $700.00|
|Plus||Individual $230.00||Couple $380.00||Famliy $550.00|
Smart Phone Apps To Consider
- Tripit – Organizes itinerary for easy access
- Duolingo – Free foreign language lessons
- Yelp – Find restaurants on the go
- Open Table – Make reservations on the go
- Skype – Wifi enabled calling service
- Google Translate – Translate from English into other languages
- Packing Pro – Helps get packing organized with lists>